Saturday, January 9, 2010

Profiling?

It will be unpopular but profiling is going to happen. Stereotypes have developed because of trends. The fact is TSA workers randomly select people they know are not terrorists just to keep people from complaining about being profiled. My 91 year old father was pulled aside and given a full body search. Because of his hearing disability he was treated like a criminal. I had to keep telling him to calm down. He did not understand what was happening. You cannot convince me any TSA worker truly believed he was a threat. I have traveled plenty with my children. I have been singled out because my flight was cancelled and, since my new flight arrangements were made last minute, marked for additional screening measures. I did not choose to make my flight arrangements last minute. The airline did it but I was still selected. I remember one screener asking what was in a box and requesting we unpack it. You could see it was a model of a ship. We had been to Europe on a cruise. I thought he was an idiot but I did not complain. If I were someone other than a white female I could have made a stink and claimed "profiling." Personally I believe you need to have profiling. If TSA were paying any attention they would have stopped the Nigerian for NOT HAVING LUGGAGE on a transatlantic flight. Think about whether or not the workers felt they would be "profiling" a Nigerian for additional security checks and passed him along so they would not be ridiculed. Honestly I don't think that was what happened but some lawyer will no doubt use an excuse similar for the complete failure to use common sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment