Monday, January 11, 2010

Racism

Although I don't think I am racist, no doubt someone will say I am. I just heard Soledad O'Brien say young (3 - 5 yrs old,) non-white children who selected the white doll as the food doll over the dark skinned doll were racists. Furthermore they are racist because of television and society's influence. Give me a break!! I taught elementary school for 17 years. She is wrong. You wish you could influence children so young that directly and profoundly with subtle messaging. I remember my three year old son commenting a man was "dirty" when we were in line at a store. The man was Hispanic. I was upset and explained the error to him. He was OK with that and did not grow up racist. I did not plant the idea in his head back then either. We had no reason (or so I thought) to even discuss the difference in skin tone. There are many shades.

What about the grass is always greener on the other side? I know many white people who wish they had the ability to dance like black people they see. I know, there are probably white people who dance well but seriously I think black people are better dancers generally speaking. I don't mean that to be a dig. It's something I envy!! White people often go to tanning salons or lay out in the sun to get tan. No they don't get "black" but that isn't because they are racists.

All people need to stop overreacting to comments that were not made to insult or demean. I realize racism exists. Some of the things we do to fix the situation are I understand there were slaves and that was wrong. It was however the way things were years ago. Black people were selling other black people to white people. I don't want to be blamed for mistakes made 100's of years ago and I am tired of excuses being made for the lack of progress. Yes people of color have had a harder road but thing have changed for the better. Now you find examples of reverse discrimination. I seriously doubt white people will be able to use the same excuses for not getting where they feel they should be 100 years from now. AND THEY SHOULDN'T! We learn from the past and try not to repeat it. Civilization has evolved. Christians are no longer used for entertainment by being throw in with lions. Most countries have changed punishment for crimes to be more humane.

The world is not made up of one culture, one religion, one race. There are differences and each country, religion and race should take pride in their individualism. The best way to prove racists wrong is by achieving more or performing better than those who put you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment